A Blog about Discovery.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

1980 Bouffant Baby.

I had a funny hair experience yesterday and so to indulge my insomnia, I will share. That, and it's much easier to talk about bad hair than it is to about my rising debt.
*Cheers to our economy*

I arrived at Big Boy's in Burbank yesterday morning prior to the shoot, already late @ 5:30 am due to lack of alarm. Did it or did it not go off? Still no idea. But this body was not having it at 3:30am.

As I gaze upon the bacon and ham omelets that I want so badly to consume, I am surprised to learn there are two hair people on for the day. Typically for these types of 'test' shoots they don't pay (well, or at all) so a makeup person will do hair as well.

The other girl sits down with the cute Denmark Hairstylist who begins to make bouncy-perfect-Victoria-Secret-style-runway curls. I gaze, wishing I had hair that could be bouncy perfect too. I go to the African-American stylist. She begins to comb my hair into a ponytail on top of my head. Sure it feels strange, but as she combs, she sprays. A lot. Over and over. I feel the heat of a curling iron, and watch as the sizzle turns into steam extending off my forehead. This process continues for 30 minutes. As I watch the other girl's hair finish, I fear whatever is going on up there, it can't be good. The Denmark Hairstylist looks into my eyes, as I gaze back as to say "Sweet Lord, it isn't as bad as it feels... or is it?"

Her eyes tell me all I need to know. At 40 minutes, my makeup is complete and I raise out of my chair to confront my deepest fear in the mirror.

THIS AND THIS had a baby on my head.


My stylist says she has to leave. My eyes light up and I walk to the photographer in hope he can see what just pooped out on top of my head. He concurs. Denmark Hairstylist does too. In a thick accent, she says, " I saw in your eyes." We begin to rip out pins and brush through my matted hair. It is truly beyond repair. She manages to sweep it over and poof it out on the side. Yeah, it's weird and completely ruined but ANYTHING is better than that 1980's Bouffant Baby.
And the outcome below, so you can laugh at the story behind it all:


And I came home with my back so incredibly sunburned I'm praying it doesn't blister. But man, it was a beautiful day for a bouffant.

No comments:

Post a Comment